In this how-to article we’ll cover the main reasons to change your business name on Facebook, how to change your business name on Facebook (instructions for desktop), quick instructions to change your Facebook business name on Android and iPhone, some easons you might not be able to change your business name on Facebook, and what happens if Facebook doesn’t approve your name change. Let’s get started!
Social media marketing is becoming an essential part of marketing any business, and if you’re not doing it right, you could be missing out on valuable opportunities. Part of marketing yourself correctly on social media means getting your business name right across all of your online platforms, including your Facebook page.
If your business name isn’t accurate on Facebook, it may be difficult for your customers to find and connect with you online. In this article we’ll walk you through a few quick and easy steps to change your Facebook business name and provide some helpful tips along the way.
Womply has made email marketing truly automatic for busy small business owners and all types of independent contractors. Learn more, plus get free reputation monitoring and customer insights when you sign up for Womply Free!
Reasons to change your business name on Facebook
You may be wondering what need you could possibly have to change your business name on Facebook. Afterall, you or your marketing team are likely the ones who set up your page so your name should be good to go barring any branding changes down the road.
There are several viable reasons to change your Facebook business page’s name, some of which you may never have thought of or known about.
- There’s a typo in your business name. Now, we hope this isn’t the case for you, but it can happen. Maybe you were setting your page up late at night and made a small mistake. Rest assured that you can change that.
- It’s difficult for customers to find you on Facebook. Do you have a business name on Facebook that is different from your business name on your website, business cards, or Google listing? You’ll want to make it as easy as possible for customers to find you online. So make sure your Facebook business page has your most well-known business name and not some unknown variation of it.
- It isn’t consistent with your other online business listings. Are you familiar with NAP consistency? This is how your business name, address, and phone number are listed on the web, and it’s super important for your business information to be listed consistently wherever it’s found. This helps Google and other search engines to associate your various listings with your brand and provides you with better opportunities for ranking well in the search engines. So make sure your Facebook page name is consistent with your business name on Google, Yelp, Bing, and your other online listings.
- You had a business/brand name change. It isn’t uncommon for a business to change their name as their brand evolves and expands down new avenues. If you change the name of your business or brand, you can change your name on your Facebook page too. You may need a little extra verification if the name is significantly different from what it was before, but it’s not impossible to do so.
How to change your business name on Facebook (instructions for desktop)
Alright, let’s get down to it. Follow these steps to change your business name on Facebook.
Step 1: Log into your Facebook account and go to your page.
To get to your Facebook page, go to the left menu on your screen and click “Pages” and then click on the Facebook page that you wish to change. It may also be available in the “Shortcuts” section if you update you actively manage your page.
Important note: You must have admin access to your Facebook page in order to change your business name.
Step 2: Go to “Edit Page Info”
In the left menu, scroll down until you see “Edit Page Info”. Click on that to get into the settings for your contact information and business name.
Step 3: Update your page name
In the “Name” field, you can change your page name.
Step 4: Confirm your page name request
Once you’ve typed in your new page name and click out of that box, you’ll get a popup notice to confirm the change. If everything looks good, click “Request Change.” It may take up to three days for Facebook to approve the name change, so be patient until that has gone through.
See below for reasons your name change may not be accepted or what to do if it isn’t approved.
Quick instructions to change your Facebook business name on a mobile device
If you’re on the go and don’t have time to hop on a computer to change your business name, then try doing it from your phone. Note that the mobile app isn’t perfect and doesn’t always work for this though (so you may end up needing to use the computer anyway).
Follow these steps to update your Facebook page name on a mobile device:
- Open the Facebook app
- Tap your profile icon in the top right corner
- Tap the “pages” option
- Go to the page you want to update
- Select the gear icon in the top right
- Select “Page Info”
- Tap on the field with your business name and tap “Continue”
- Tap “Request Change”
Reasons you might not be able to change your business name on Facebook
Facebook doesn’t give you the ability to just change your business name whenever you’d like. There are certain policies to follow and limitations to changing your name. Here are some of the reasons you may not be able to change your name or that it might not get approved:
- You don’t have the right page role to edit your page name (typically, you must be an admin of the page for around 14 days before getting the ability to change your page name)
- If you’ve tried changing your business name in the last 7 days or change it too frequently
- Your page may have limits on it. See Facebook’s reasons for limits here
- The page goes against Facebook’s page name policy
- Uses abusive terms or phrases or violates someone’s rights
- Uses the word “official” without being the official page of a brand or public figure
- Improper capitalization (example: tHe BEsT pAgE)
- Uses symbols or unnecessary punctuation (even trademark and registered symbols are not allowed)
- Descriptions and slogans can’t be in the name
- Any variation of the word “Facebook” cannot be used in your name
- Page names also can’t consist only of generic words or general geographic locations (example: Pizza or New York)
What happens if Facebook doesn’t approve my name change?
If Facebook doesn’t approve your page name change, I’d first look to see if your name is following all of Facebook’s guidelines. You won’t be able to change your name if it doesn’t.
Barring any policy mishaps, there’s really only one option if you should be able to change your Facebook name but Facebook won’t allow you to or won’t approve the change: report a problem.
To report a problem with your page:
- Click on the dropdown arrow on the top right of your screen.
- Click “Help & Support”
- Click “Report a Problem”
- Then choose “Something went wrong” or “Help us improve the new Facebook” (either is fine) and follow the prompts to enter in the details of the issues you are having with your page
Stay on top of your online reviews to encourage new and repeat business
Outside of making sure all of your Facebook page information is accurate, another important aspect of social media marketing is getting reviews and recommendations on all your online business pages and review site profiles. This helps provide social proof that other people have used and enjoyed your products or services.
Reputation management software allows you to easily remind your customers that you appreciate their feedback, and you can manage and respond to all your reviews from one dashboard with one login, saving you valuable time every week. Learn more when you sign up for Womply Free, plus get free reputation monitoring and customer insights!